Banana is one of the most widely eaten fruits in the world, which is readily recognised because of its distinctive shape and bright colours. Interestingly, this amazing fruit, in
fact has a lot to offer, both nutritionally, as well as in relieving the symptoms of a myriad of physical complaints, reports Sade Oguntola.
Wonderfully sweet with firm and creamy flesh, bananas come prepackaged in their own yellow jackets and are available for harvest throughout the year.
The banana plant grows 10 to 26 feet and belongs to the Musaceae family of plants along with plantains.
The cluster of fruits contain anywhere from 50 to 150 bananas with individual fruits grouped in bunches, known as "hands," containing 10 to 25 bananas.
Bananas are thought to have originated in Malaysia around 4,000 years ago. From there, they spread throughout the Philippines and India, where in 327 B.C. Alexander the Great's army recorded them being grown.
Bananas were introduced to Africa by Arabian traders and discovered there in 1482 A.D. by Portuguese explorers who took them to the Americas, the place where the majority of bananas are now produced.
Bananas were not brought to the United States for sale in markets until the latter part of the 19th century and were initially only enjoyed by people in the seacoast towns where the banana schooners docked; because of the fruit's fragility, they were unable to be transported far.
Since the development of refrigeration and rapid transport in the 20th century, bananas have become widely available. Today, bananas grow in most tropical and subtropical regions with the main commercial producers including Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador and Brazil.
Amazing Health Benefits of Banana:
1. Bananas help overcome depression due high levels of tryptophan,
which is converted into serotonin -- the happy-mood brain
2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch
and sustain your blood sugar
3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg
cramps by eating a banana
4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by
supplementing with a banana
5. Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana,
which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation
6. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight
loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of
white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6
7. Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from
8. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by
the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure, and protect against heart
attack and stroke
Eating bananas aids digestion:
9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and
heavy metals from the body
10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in
the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing
11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help
restore lost electrolytes after diarrhea.
13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux,
heartburn and GERD
14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to
relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against
Natural cures from a simple banana
15. Eating bananas helps prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against
macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing
16. Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more
alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels
17. Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing free radicals and protection
from chronic disease
18. Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce
nausea from morning sickness
19. Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve
itching and irritation
20. Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a
21. Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a
fever or on a hot day
22. The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal
Affective Disorder (SAD)
23. Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as
potassium and magnesium speed recovery from the effects of
24. Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against
the wart and taping it in place
25. Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and
polish with a dry cloth for a quick shine
1.00 each (118.00 grams)
1.00 each (118.00 grams)
Calories ( 105)5%
Photo Gallery of Banana & Banana Flower:
Source Link: http://www.naturalnews.com/036771_bananas_digestion.html