From boosting your energy levels to taking care of your cardiovascular health, date fruits have multifaceted benefits to offer. You can also consume them for enhancing your beauty. Get an insight into the benefits of dry dates for health, skin and hair.
The date fruit is a "drupe" in which outer fleshy part (exocarp and mesocarp) surrounds a shell (the pit or stone) of hardened endocarp with a seed inside. The fruit is oval to cylindrical in shape, 3–7 cms long, and 2–3 cms diameter, and when ripe, range from bright red to depending on the variety.
There are many varieties of date palm cultivated. ‘Amir Hajj’, ‘Saidy’, 'Khadrawy' and 'Medjool' is some of the important varieties that are popular for their superior quality.
2. Dry dates also have all essential minerals like iron, potassium, selenium, magnesium, phosphorous and copper, without which our body cells cannot perform their regular activities.
3. Dry dates are a great source of iron, one of the most vital minerals in a body. Iron is a major component in red blood corpuscles or haemoglobin and plays a key role in maintaining the amount of blood cells as well as regulating the flow of oxygen in the body. Hence, people who suffer from anaemia (decrease in blood cells) can get immense benefits from dry dates.
4. Calcium content in dry dates is very high. Calcium, being a crucial element of our skeletal system, is necessary for keeping our bones and teeth safe and strong. So, including a handful of dates in your daily diet will be a great choice to stay away from bone problems (osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, etc.) and dental problems (tooth decay).
5. The dietary fiber in dry dates is known to heal constipation effectively. They can keep our colon clear by increasing the amount of fecal matter. They also act as laxatives and facilitate the movement of bowel within our body.
6. The effects of dry dates on our cardiovascular system are also quite appreciated by the experts. They are really low in fat and contain no cholesterol. Moreover, they are capable of controlling the level of low-density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol in our bloodstream. Low sodium and high potassium content of dry dates are also extensively beneficial for keeping the blood pressure under control.
7. Several researches have shown that dry dates possess excellent anti-oxidative properties, which make our digestion smoother and keep our stomach healthy. Being full of essential amino acids as well as soluble and insoluble fibers, they increase the secretion of digestive juices and enhance the absorption of foodstuffs. Apart from these, dry dates are also beneficial in curing disorders like acidity, stomach ulcers, heart burn and colitis.
8. Another amazing aspect of eating dry dates is increased muscle strength. They have significant effects on our heart muscles and are known to make our heart stronger. Pregnant women should consume dry dates regularly as they can strengthen uterus muscles and make the birth of the child easier.
9. Dry dates consist of a huge amount of natural sugar (glucose and fructose), which eventually makes them a great energy booster. You can enhance your physical stamina to a greater extent with the help of these nourishing fruits.
10. If you have an over-slimming problem, dry dates will be ideal for you. They are packed with calories and hence, you can gain adequate muscles without putting on much weight.
Benefits of Dry Dates for Skin:
11. Dry dates are a natural resource of Vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid. It is highly beneficial for skin cells as it can repair damage caused by free radicals. So, if you want to get firm and naturally beautiful skin, dry dates can be a good aid.
12. The Vitamin A content of dry dates is helpful to maintain the health of our skin. It can eliminate dry and dead skin cells, and regenerate fresh and new ones. Consequently, we get healthy, bright and glowing skin.
13. We have already talked about the anti-oxidative properties of dry dates. These are advantageous for our skin too. As our skin gets rid of free radicals, it becomes firm and toned. In short, dry dates help us fight against untimely ageing and make us youthful.
Loaded with vital nutrients, dried dates can nourish our skin and improve its texture. Regular consumption of these fruits can result in smoother and fairer skin.
14. Vitamin B5 present in dry dates is helpful in maintaining the health of our tresses. By including this superfood in your daily diet, you can prevent a number of hair problems like brittle hair, split ends, and so on.
15. If you are suffering from excessive hair fall, dry dates can be of great help. It provides nourishment to hair roots as well as scalp and makes your hairs stronger. Thus, we can flaunt our silky and shiny hair.
Date fruit allergy is a rare occurrence. The fruits are safe to eat in infants, and pregnant woman. However, in some sensitized individual to birch family pollen, exposure to date palm pollen may elicit cross-hypersensitivity reactions. It is therefore, advised to avoid any food preparations that contain date palm products in these individuals.